
Two journalists from Magazine Jimbere who were detained earlier this week while covering a court-related proceeding have been provisionally released, according to a statement from their media outlet.
The decision was made Feb. 20 by the Attorney General at the Court of Appeal of Ntahangwa, who ordered the provisional release of reporters Manirambona Olivier and Niyonizeye Aline after two days in detention. The ruling does not halt legal proceedings against them.
Magazine Jimbere said it believes the two journalists “have committed no fault under the laws governing their profession” and expressed hope that the case will be concluded quickly so they can be cleared and “fully regain their freedom.”
The pair had been detained while reporting on a court enforcement operation, an incident that raised concerns among media observers about conditions for journalists covering legal or security-related events in the country.
The journalists were arrested while carrying out their reporting duties at the scene of a judicial enforcement action. The outlet reported they were taken into custody despite identifying themselves as members of the press, and that their detention sparked reactions among local media professionals and civil society actors calling for their release.
Press-freedom groups have long expressed concern over such cases. The Committee to Protect Journalists has said security personnel should “protect and facilitate” reporting rather than impede it when journalists are gathering information in the public interest.
Authorities have not publicly detailed the specific allegations against the Magazine Jimbere journalists. Proceedings in the case are expected to continue.

