The new covid-19 measures imposed by Burundi government last week has today get into effects after the country registered first-ever highest cases within 48 hours.
Not only maritime and land borders are closed but also a mandatory 7 day quarantine will be observed by passengers using the country’s airport.
The increase of covid-19 cases caught the government’s eye as the Ministry of Home Affairs Gervain Ndirakobuca announced the new measures in effort to curb the spread of the pandemic.
Burundi announced 40 corona virus cases last week in the economic capital Bujumbura after 2 months of no case being registered countrywide.
“Given the rise of infections in Bujumbura in order to protect the population from new infections we are closing maritime and terrestrial borders except goods and cargo trucks,” read part of the statement from the Home Affairs Ministry.
The Ministry of Public Health said that the quarantine period of 3 days was extended to 7 as part of preventive measures against the pandemic, while two tests will be conducted before and after the period respectively.
“Those tested positive to covid-19 will be transferred to appropriate centers on their own costs,” said the health minister Thaddee Ndikumana.
Burundi has since last year made a drastic turn in controlling the spread of the virus since the incumbent president Evariste Ndayishimiye took over the office.
President Ndayishimiye launched a mass screening test for coronavirus countrywide, with water and soap prices reduced to enable every Burundian to keep hands clean.
A mass testing campaign kicked off this Monday January 11th that is expected to last for 30 days where the population will voluntarily test for covid-19 without making any payment.
Last year the campaign gathered over 80,000 people who were tested among which almost 700 people tested positive for covid-19.
According to recent update of January 5th 2021, over ninety thousand tests were conducted, over 800 people tested positive and 700 were discharged from hospital.
Active cases are more than 100 with only two fatalities since the pandemic was announced in the country last March.
“Security officials are to escort passengers to booked hotels and will be under surveillance to respect covid-19 measures in hotels,” the statement from the home affairs minister reads.