Google lets users change Gmail addresses for the first time

Google is giving Gmail users long-awaited flexibility over their email addresses. The company has begun rolling out a feature that allows people to change the part of their address before “@gmail.com” a capability that was previously unavailable for standard Gmail accounts.

For over two decades, Gmail users could not modify their original email addresses once created. The only workarounds were adding aliases (like name+tag@gmail.com) or using a non-Gmail address as a login. Now, with the new option, users can update their primary email while keeping all existing emails, contacts, Drive files, Photos, and YouTube data intact.

“Users have asked for more control over their Gmail addresses for years,” a Google spokesperson said. “This rollout is designed to give people the flexibility to create a professional or updated email identity without losing their existing data.”

Currently, the feature is available to some users in the United States, with a broader global rollout expected in the coming months. When changing their address, users’ old emails automatically become aliases, continuing to receive messages sent to the previous address. However, Google warns that after one change, users may need to wait 12 months before updating their email again.

Industry analysts say the update could simplify account management, reducing the need for cumbersome migrations to new accounts. “This is a significant improvement for users who created accounts years ago and want a fresh or professional email identity,” said Jane Kim, a digital technology analyst at TechInsights.

While Google has yet to specify when the feature will reach all users worldwide, the gradual rollout marks a major shift in how Gmail handles account flexibility and user control over digital identities.

TOP STORIES

South African rider Sonica Klopper wins Gitega Grand Prix

South African cyclist Sonica Klopper won the Grand Prix...

Aid agencies call for greater protection of humanitarian workers amid rising violence

Humanitarian organizations and United Nations officials have called for...

Ndayishimiye congratulates Hichilema as observers flag uneven playing field in Zambia election

Burundi President Évariste Ndayishimiye has congratulated Zambian President Hakainde...

DRC, Tanzania push for Foreign Force withdrawal and FDLR disarmament

Democratic Republic of Congo President Félix Tshisekedi and Tanzanian...

UNESCO Study: Press Freedom reduces conflict & rights abuses

A new UNESCO-backed review of global research has found...

Harmonize Brings ‘Good Bye Summer Vibes’ to Gitega in Burundi Concert

Tanzanian singer Harmonize headlined the "Good Bye Summer Vibes"...

South African rider Sonica Klopper wins Gitega Grand Prix

South African cyclist Sonica Klopper won the Grand Prix...

Burundi launches 300 Billion BIF Agricultural Credit Facility at 5% interest

Burundi is establishing a 300 billion Burundian franc (more...

UNESCO Study: Press Freedom reduces conflict & rights abuses

A new UNESCO-backed review of global research has found...

Major Fire Hits ‘Le Parisien’ Building in Downtown Bujumbura

A major fire broke out at the "Le Parisien" commercial building in downtown Bujumbura on Friday morning, marking the seventh major commercial blaze in Burundi in 2026. Vice President Prosper Bazombanza called for safety reviews and a potential ban on charcoal irons in the city center.

Aid agencies call for greater protection of humanitarian workers amid rising violence

Humanitarian organizations and United Nations officials have called for...

FACT-CHECK: Is Burundi systematically blocking Congolese refugees from returning home?

Target Claim Under Evaluation: "Burundi is deliberately blocking Congolese...

Related Articles

Popular Categories