Coronavirus cases in Burundi spiked to 408 last Friday as three more people tested positive for covid-19 according to the ministry of health, the number of cases increased after the country launched a mass testing campaign where every citizen can voluntarily be tested for the virus.
The number of active cases in Burundi currently stands at 92 while by Friday the number of patients said to have recovered from the pandemic was 315, according to the Burundian government the country registered one death linked to COVID-19.
Coronavirus where its first case was first recorded in Wuhan (China) has been one of the world’s fatal pandemic as of August 9, 2020, nearly 20,000,000 people have been infected while over 700,000 died according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
In Africa the number of infected people surpassed 1,000,000 and over 20,000 have died of the virus.
According to the East African Community Kenya has the highest number of infections (26,436), Rwanda (2134), Uganda (1267), and Tanzania (509).
Burundi recorded its first coronavirus case in March, 2020, since then the country has put in place counter-measures to curb the spread of the pandemic.
Burundi’s First Lady Angéline Ndayishimiye with the country’s Ministry Health Thaddée Ndikumana sensitized youth on Coronavirus spread, preventive measures and actions taken to fight the spread of the virus.
The sensitization program that was launched last Friday August 7, 2020 in Ntahangwa commune (Bujumbura) the First Lady launched the sensitization program that is expected to end this Tuesday 11th August, 2020.
Recently the Association of Transporters (ATRABU) launched a campaign of providing masks to every public transport driver to protect themselves and passengers from being infected.
Bosco Minani the chairman of ATRABU said that the fight of the pandemic is for every Burundian, “we call on all drivers to take the lead in wearing these masks to protect themselves as the president of the republic called all Burundians to fight this pandemic.”