Uganda Postpones Martyrs’ Day 2026 Over Ebola Outbreak Fears

Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni has announced the postponement of the 2026 Uganda Martyrs’ Day celebrations over fears linked to an Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.

In a statement shared on his official X account, Museveni said the decision followed consultations with the national epidemic response task force and religious leaders.

“After consultations with the national epidemic response task force and religious leaders, we have decided to postpone the Martyrs’ Day to a later date, which will be communicated,” the president said.

Museveni said the move was necessary because Uganda receives thousands of pilgrims every year from eastern Congo, where authorities are currently battling an Ebola outbreak.

“This decision was made because Uganda receives thousands of pilgrims annually from Eastern Congo, which is currently experiencing an Ebola outbreak,” the statement read. “To safeguard everyone’s lives, it is essential that this important event be postponed.”

The president urged pilgrims who had already started traveling to return home, continue observing preventive measures, report anyone showing symptoms of illness, and encourage those who are sick to seek medical care.

Uganda Martyrs’ Day, commemorated annually on June 3 at the Namugongo Catholic and Anglican shrines near Kampala, is one of the largest religious gatherings in Africa. The event attracts millions of worshippers and pilgrims from across East Africa, including neighboring Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, and South Sudan.

The postponement comes amid heightened regional health surveillance following reports of Ebola cases in parts of eastern Congo. Health authorities in Uganda have previously strengthened border screening and emergency response systems because of the frequent movement of people between the two countries.

The government has not yet announced a new date for the celebrations.

Martyrs’ Day honors the 45 Christian converts executed between 1885 and 1887 on the orders of Kabaka Mwanga II of Buganda for refusing to renounce their faith. The annual pilgrimage is considered one of the most significant religious events in the region.

TOP STORIES

Aid agencies call for greater protection of humanitarian workers amid rising violence

Humanitarian organizations and United Nations officials have called for...

Burundi launches 300 Billion BIF Agricultural Credit Facility at 5% interest

Burundi is establishing a 300 billion Burundian franc (more...

Major Fire Hits ‘Le Parisien’ Building in Downtown Bujumbura

A major fire broke out at the "Le Parisien" commercial building in downtown Bujumbura on Friday morning, marking the seventh major commercial blaze in Burundi in 2026. Vice President Prosper Bazombanza called for safety reviews and a potential ban on charcoal irons in the city center.

Ndayishimiye congratulates Hichilema as observers flag uneven playing field in Zambia election

Burundi President Évariste Ndayishimiye has congratulated Zambian President Hakainde...

Burundi Weather Alert: Heavy rains trigger severe flood and landslide warnings

Burundi is among the areas of the Greater Horn...

Harmonize Brings ‘Good Bye Summer Vibes’ to Gitega in Burundi Concert

Tanzanian singer Harmonize headlined the "Good Bye Summer Vibes"...

South African rider Sonica Klopper wins Gitega Grand Prix

South African cyclist Sonica Klopper won the Grand Prix...

Burundi launches 300 Billion BIF Agricultural Credit Facility at 5% interest

Burundi is establishing a 300 billion Burundian franc (more...

UNESCO Study: Press Freedom reduces conflict & rights abuses

A new UNESCO-backed review of global research has found...

Major Fire Hits ‘Le Parisien’ Building in Downtown Bujumbura

A major fire broke out at the "Le Parisien" commercial building in downtown Bujumbura on Friday morning, marking the seventh major commercial blaze in Burundi in 2026. Vice President Prosper Bazombanza called for safety reviews and a potential ban on charcoal irons in the city center.

Aid agencies call for greater protection of humanitarian workers amid rising violence

Humanitarian organizations and United Nations officials have called for...

FACT-CHECK: Is Burundi systematically blocking Congolese refugees from returning home?

Target Claim Under Evaluation: "Burundi is deliberately blocking Congolese...

Related Articles

Popular Categories