CAF and East African leaders agree on new oversight body for AFCON 2027

The Confédération Africaine de Football (CAF) and senior officials from Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda have established a new regional oversight body to coordinate preparations for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON), as scrutiny intensifies over infrastructure readiness ahead of the tournament.

CAF President Patrice Motsepe joined ministers and football federation leaders from the three host nations in Nairobi on Wednesday to formally launch the “PAMOJA Oversight Committee,” which will supervise delivery of the continent’s flagship football competition.

The 2027 edition will mark the first time AFCON is jointly hosted by three countries.

According to CAF, the committee will immediately begin coordinating strategic planning, infrastructure delivery and operational preparedness across Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda.

“The newly established committee is designed to provide strategic direction, coordination and delivery oversight across all three nations,” regional publication The Eastleigh Voice reported following the Nairobi meeting.

The meeting brought together Kenya’s Sports Cabinet Secretary Salim Mvurya, Tanzania’s Minister of Information, Culture, Arts and Sports Paul Makonda, and Uganda’s State Minister for Sports Peter Ogwang.

Football federation presidents Mohammed Hussein of Kenya, Wallace Karia of Tanzania and Moses Magogo of Uganda also attended alongside CAF Acting Secretary General Samson Adamu.

Under the roadmap adopted in Nairobi, the three countries committed to accelerating stadium construction, confirming host venues and strengthening coordination on visas, immigration, customs and regional mobility before the end of August 2026. Safety, medical preparedness and tournament logistics were also listed among priority areas.

Motsepe has recently sought to reassure African football stakeholders that preparations remain on track despite concerns over timelines for major infrastructure projects.

“Thanks to your leadership and the collaboration of CAF, we have made good progress and this AFCON will be a huge success,” Motsepe said earlier this week during events linked to the Africa Forward Summit in Nairobi.

Football Kenya Federation President Mohammed Hussein also emphasized that East Africa wants to stage a distinctly regional tournament rather than copy previous editions hosted elsewhere.

“The region is not seeking to replicate past tournaments but to deliver a uniquely East African experience defined by hospitality, cultural diversity and coordinated planning,” Hussein said.

CAF has increased inspections and coordination visits in recent months as preparations gather pace. Earlier this year, CAF technical experts toured proposed stadiums and training facilities in all three countries to assess infrastructure standards, safety requirements and logistical readiness.

The launch of the oversight committee is widely seen as an attempt to centralize accountability and speed up implementation with less than two years remaining before kickoff.

TOP STORIES

FACT-CHECK: Is Burundi systematically blocking Congolese refugees from returning home?

Target Claim Under Evaluation: "Burundi is deliberately blocking Congolese...

Burundi earns promotion to Davis Cup World Group II playoffs

Burundi earned promotion to the 2027 Davis Cup World...

Burundi launches 300 Billion BIF Agricultural Credit Facility at 5% interest

Burundi is establishing a 300 billion Burundian franc (more...

Aid agencies call for greater protection of humanitarian workers amid rising violence

Humanitarian organizations and United Nations officials have called for...

Burundi Weather Alert: Heavy rains trigger severe flood and landslide warnings

Burundi is among the areas of the Greater Horn...

Harmonize Brings ‘Good Bye Summer Vibes’ to Gitega in Burundi Concert

Tanzanian singer Harmonize headlined the "Good Bye Summer Vibes"...

South African rider Sonica Klopper wins Gitega Grand Prix

South African cyclist Sonica Klopper won the Grand Prix...

Burundi launches 300 Billion BIF Agricultural Credit Facility at 5% interest

Burundi is establishing a 300 billion Burundian franc (more...

UNESCO Study: Press Freedom reduces conflict & rights abuses

A new UNESCO-backed review of global research has found...

Major Fire Hits ‘Le Parisien’ Building in Downtown Bujumbura

A major fire broke out at the "Le Parisien" commercial building in downtown Bujumbura on Friday morning, marking the seventh major commercial blaze in Burundi in 2026. Vice President Prosper Bazombanza called for safety reviews and a potential ban on charcoal irons in the city center.

Aid agencies call for greater protection of humanitarian workers amid rising violence

Humanitarian organizations and United Nations officials have called for...

FACT-CHECK: Is Burundi systematically blocking Congolese refugees from returning home?

Target Claim Under Evaluation: "Burundi is deliberately blocking Congolese...

Related Articles

Popular Categories